Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Home Sales

The plan for this blog is to review plays, musicals, operas, restaurants, concerts, art shows, etc. I realize that I could rewrite that sentence as, "to review my friends and family." My goal of course is to be professional, but honest in my reviews. Which means, at some point, somebody might be offended by what I write (especially if it isn't 100% positive). This is why I thought it would be appropriate to review my current job. If I critique myself first, then you can all feel better when I attend one of your events and a review suddenly pops up in my blog!

Okay, here we go:

As unemployment continues to have an impact on the family paycheck, more and more people have turned to Direct Sales. The appeal generates from low start-up costs, potential income, discounted products, but many join simply to "get away from the kids for a few hours." Direct Sales does come with a stigma though. Many people try to avoid a direct sales person at any cost. Nobody wants to be pressured into buying sometimes useless (and expensive) junk.

I had been an unbeliever of this market up until quite recently. I always assumed that direct sales women were just professional-wannabes. I hated being invited to home-parties. I hated having to attend home-parties even more. Perhaps this hatred was motivated out of the annoyance of being asked to spend money (that I did not have), or to join a company that I did not want products from.

Many of you may be able to relate to this perspective of home-parties. Whenever -The Friend- calls to invite you to their home-party you pretend that you are not home. Unfortunately, my "Friend," was my sister. Thus, it became my fate to attend far too many home-parties against my will. The last home-party I attended (against my will) was the first Pampered Chef show I had experienced.

For the first time, I saw a benefit to purchasing the products being shown. Unlike candles (which burn out), or make-up (which runs out), I saw a product that I only had to buy once! And bonus, it would last a long time! But I was still suspicious. I knew the sneaky Direct Sales woman was waiting for her opportunity to pounce. I had braved placing an order, but was weary. I did not want to let her know that I was interested in the business.

That is when I discovered all of the benefits of becoming a Direct Sales person. Especially for The Pampered Chef. A Pampered Chef Consultant, never has to have items in stock (no inventory), they have no territories, and many other benefits. The compensation is commission based, and starts at 20% and increases quickly. I discovered that with self-motivation I could work only 8 days a month and earn up to $800 or more.

The big potential downside facing Direct Sales is the need to constantly generate new clients and leads. This requires a lot of socialization, friendliness, and bravery. Without the client base, the paycheck is not possible.

Now, I understand why so many women choose to go into direct sales (specifically Pampered Chef). They have the opportunity to support their family with income, healthy meals, and flexible schedules. Plus, these women tend to actually have the network available to support the needed client base. Through family, friends, fellow parents, co-workers, acquaintances, neighbors, and fellow house wives, women can create a thriving business to help them conquer the perils of unemployment.

For more information on joining the Pampered Chef visit, www.pamperedchef.com, or contact me!

2 comments:

  1. I believe I would be that sister...and I'm glad to help :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the home party is still a tough sell, but I really believe in your products and hope to turn people on to good quality kitchen supplies.

    ReplyDelete