Monday, March 1, 2010

Restaurant Kevin Taylor

Denver Restaurant Week this year began Feb 20, and ends March 5th.



This is a fabulous opportunity to try new, classy restaurants throughout Denver at a reduced cost. A list of hundreds of restaurants, and each offers a three or four course meal. All for the single price of 26.40, or a couple's price of 52.80.
That is quite a steal if you make reservations and get yourself a table during this busy week of culinary display.

As a first time attendee, it took some time to decide on where we would have dinner. After reviewing the menu selections per restaurant on this website we chose to make reservations at Restaurant Kevin Taylor. A four star/four diamond restaurant located in the Hotel Teatro.

Our decision was based on how much money the regular menu would cost, and also the selection of courses to choose from. Apparently many restaurants offer delicious menu choices during restaurant week but often downsize the portions to accommodate the lower price. Restaurant Kevin Taylor does not alter their portion size, which added to the appeal in choosing this location. If you are unsure of portion size, you can always ask when you call to make your reservation.

As for the reservation, you can make them online, but I recommend calling the restaurant of interest to inquire about dress code, and other questions you may have. We called only a week or so before the Week of Restaurants began, and the only reservation we could get was at 9:45pm on Thursday night. So reserve early!



Restaurant Kevin Taylor offers the following courses for this week:

First Course
Your choice of:

* Jumbo Asparagus and Golden Potato Gnocchi with Hedgehogs, Poached Egg, Truffle Parmesan Emulsion
* Truffled Winter Squash Soup with Wild Mushroom Flan, Pepitas, Aged Sherry Elixir
* Sauterne Poached Apple and Baby Mache Salad with Pommes Maxim, Roasted Hazelnuts, Parmesan Aioli

Second Course
Your choice of:

* Crispy Seared Scottish Salmon with Mustard Lentils, Braised Endive, Haricot Vert, Red Wine Tarragon Butter
* Roast Black Angus NY Sirloin and Braised Veal Cheek with Fingerling Potatoes, Glazed Root Vegetables, Bourbon Jus
* Roasted Colorado Lamb Loin and Braised Lamb Shank Raviolis with Jerusalem Artichokes, Sheep’s Milk Gouda, Red Grape Verjus

Third Course
Your choice of:

* Tahitian Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with Pistachio Madeleines, Vanilla Bean Sugar
* Cookies ‘n’ Cream Semifreddo with Oreo Crumble, Valrhona Chocolate Syrup, Candied Vanilla



I ordered the Jumbo Asparagus, the Roast Angus NY Sirloin and Braised Veal, followed with the Tahitian Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee. We chose to split a bottle of red wine along the table, which is usually cheaper than by the glass. Being young, and in the spirit of eating well for less, we ordered a $32.00 bottle(just about the cheapest bottle available) which was split among five people. For those of you with math disabilities, that is two glasses per person at about $6.40 each. Not a bad deal.

I have to admit, I can really only compliment a course if it makes me stop scarfing down my food to take the time to enjoy every subtle flavor.
As a cook myself, I have great appreciation for a well prepared meal.

My recommendation for the first course goes to the Asparagus and Golden Potato Gnocchi, with Hedgehogs(which for clarification is a type of mushroom). With just the tips of asparagus mixed with the most moist, and flavorful Gnocchi imaginable it it the perfect opening to a formal meal.

I followed with the Sirloin because my other choices were Salmon or Lamb. I am not a big Salmon fan, nor have I tried Lamb before, so I chose Sirloin because I could actually compare it to others. The portion size was just right, meat and chopped vegetable served on a bed of potatoes. Only, in a more elegant way. Again this entree made me slow down and enjoy every bit. The sirloin didn't have an ounce of grizzle, and it was cooked exactly to my specification. The servers were attentive as well, often checking to see how "our first bite" tasted.

Finally, dessert. The creme brulee was served with fresh fruit, which is always a delight. But as I cracked through the alabaster colored carmel top anticipating the sweet taste of creme brulee, I was disappointed to discovered a much more lack luster flavor. If you are more of a classic creme brulee eater, then I wouldn't recommend this dessert. The Tahitian vanilla bean creates a much more exotic flavor than usual, and the sugared topping was a bit too thick. Many of my friends ordered the Cookies'n'cream, which I pretty much ignored due to it's common place name, but be fooled not! A charming plate of ice cream (essentially) came out in the lovely shape of a block. I imagine that this dessert selection would have blended much nicer for our previously chosen palate. Nonetheless, we came, we ate, we were full.

The check was brought out, and the server was very pleasant about splitting the bill between check cards. He also brought out a plate of after dinner chocolates.

Overall, I would say the experience was so lovely, that I would only eat there again during Restaurant week. Normally, an entree starts at around $30.00, but of course the full menu offers a much broader range of meals to chose from. However, I was so pleased with the selections offered during Restaurant Week, that I have become spoiled and won't consent to pay a dime more for my three courses (because a dime is more that I have!)

I recommend this restaurant to the wealthy and comfortable, and recommend this restaurant to the poor but culturally rich young adults exploring Denver's Restaurant Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment